Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet is the upcoming latest version of Ubuntu. The stable version of Ubuntu 15.04 has not been released yet. According to the Ubuntu 15.04 release calendar, it is supposed to be release in the month of April 2015. If you want to test this OS you can download and install beta 2 (unstable release) with the help of external media. Ubuntu 15.04 Beta 2 ISO file is available for download on the official site of Ubuntu.
If you have Ubuntu 14.10 installed, then you can upgrade it to Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet easily. Ubuntu 15.04 is still in beta phase so I would recommend you to wait a little and enjoy the full stable release. But if you still want to test the OS follow the steps below. The same procedure will work for the installation of final stable release.
Upgrade from Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn to 15.04 Vivid Vervet
- Open Software Updates from Unity dash. In Settings click on Updates tab. In the open window set “Notify me of a new Ubuntu version” as “For any new version”. Check the “pre release updates” under “Install updates from”, if want to get any pre releases updates.
- Now close the software applications window and open Software update manager from unity dash.
- When you launch the update manager, click on check button. It will notify you any necessary updates available for your system. Install those updates.
- After installing the updates, click on Check button again. A message box will appear, asking you to upgrade the system to new release i.e. Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet. Click on Upgrade button to continue.Now close the software applications window and open Software update manager from unity dash.
This will upgrade your system to the new release of Ubuntu 15.04.
If you want to use Terminal for upgrading the system, follow these steps.
- Follow the first step in above method.
- Launch Terminal with Ctr+alt+T and type the command
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
This will install all the available updates on your system.
- Next, run the command given below. This command will launch the Update manager. Update manager command with argument d will look for any distribution upgrade available. It will check for updates and will notify for Ubuntu 15.04 availability.
sudo update-manager -d
- Now, click on the upgrade button in the update manager, to upgrade your system to Ubuntu 15.04.
All Ubuntu flavors i.e. Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Mate etc. can be upgraded by following the same procedure.
The beta version is unstable and you might have to face several bugs and issues. So, I will suggest you to wait till the final release of Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet, that is supposed to be 23rd of April 2015. Follow the same steps above for installing the stable release of Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet.